TMHS 711: The Truth About Hormones - Weight Loss, Stress, & Individuality - With Dr. Sara Gottfried
“A daily mind-body practice is non-negotiable.” ~Dr. Sara Gottfried
Hard to imagine something worse than busting your tail to improve your health and seeing no progress. But being confronted with new research that seemingly erects additional hurdles can feel even more defeating. Doing battle with your genetic makeup sounds like a losing fight, right? Luckily, today’s guest brings expert insights that offer solid hope and ways to utilize new research to our advantage.
Dr. Sara Gottfried is not only a leading researcher, physician, NYT best-selling author, and MIT and Harvard graduate… she’s also one of my favorite human beings on the planet. Her patients benefit from her 25 years of medical experience, expertise on hormones, and sensible approach that puts lifestyle changes above sole dependence on pharmaceutical solutions. Dr. Gottfried is the Clinical Assistant Professor in the Department of Integrative Medicine and Nutritional Sciences at Thomas Jefferson University, also Director of Precision Medicine at the Marcus Institute of Integrative Health.
This interview’s packed with the latest information on hormones and their effects on our overall health. Plus, proven research that will empower you to notice and deal with invisible stress and ‘normalized’ trauma. Don’t miss Dr. Gottfried’s actionable advice for managing Partial PTSD and toxic stress that gets lodged in your system. Take a listen so you can utilize the powerful trauma remedies we discuss!
In this episode you’ll discover:
● The crucial factor getting ignored on most health journeys
● How past trauma affects our stress response system
● What soul wounds are and their ripple effect on families
● The 2 bodily systems most vulnerable to toxic stress
● Big T & Little t trauma nuances
● Insulin myths
● What hormones are and the highest-priority hormone
● Why nearly 100% of Dr. Gottfried’s patients have cortisol issues
● 40+ different adult chronic diseases’ common denominator
● Why many weight loss efforts are doomed
● Ideal ways to test your cortisol levels
● A test to score your adverse childhood experiences
● Your natural ability to process stress effectively
● How buried PTSD can rob you of bone strength
● The power that enriching experiences have over your past
● When self-reliant adults can expect to feel childhood wounds
● How creating space helps reframe events
● Surprising limitations genetics have even on elite NBA athletes
Items mentioned in this episode include:
● Organifi.com/model— Use the coupon code MODEL for 20% off + free shipping!
● EatSmarterCookbook.com — Preorder the cookbook today & claim your bonuses!
● Project Ice Storm Study (prenatal maternal stress)
● Women Food & Hormones— Dr. Sara Gottfried’s latest book
Join TMHS Facebook community - Model Nation
Be sure you are subscribed to this podcast to automatically receive your episodes: