TMHS 720: Improve Your Focus, Promote Neuroplasticity, & Increase Your Attention Span - with Dr. Adam Gazzaley
In our fast-paced, technology-centric society, it’s easy to focus on the ways in which our devices are making us more distracted and disconnected. But what if we harnessed the power of technology for good? What if we could utilize technology in a way that could promote neuroplasticity and improve cognition?
Today’s guest, Dr. Adam Gazzaley, is the founding director of Neuroscape at University of California, San Francisco and a professor in neurology, physiology, and psychiatry. He is also the chief scientific advisor and board member at Akili, a company that is dedicated to changing the landscape of cognitive medicine. In this interview, Dr. Gazzaley is sharing the details behind the first-of-its-kind treatment for ADHD—a video game experience.
In this interview, we’re going to talk about the importance of harnessing your attention and how technology can impact your attention span. You’ll learn about the future of experiential medicine, how to improve cognition and neuroplasticity, and so much more. I hope you enjoy this interview with the incredible Dr. Adam Gazzaley!
In this episode you’ll discover:
- Why our attention is our most valuable asset.
- The challenges that our technology-driven world has created for our brains.
- How accessibility to technology changed our attention spans.
- Why humans are essentially cyborgs.
- The importance of disconnecting from technology.
- How your brain handles single-tasking vs. multitasking.
- Why awareness about the inefficacy of multitasking is critical.
- How to make single-tasking gratifying.
- Why technology is a double-edged sword.
- What neuroplasticity is, and how it occurs.
- The link between neuroplasticity and technology.
- How video games can improve cognition.
- Why experiences can target systems in the brain.
- The difference between molecular medicine and experiential medicine.
- Why “chemical imbalance” is an oversimplification.
- The history of the first FDA approved video game.
- What experiential medicine is.
- Why the placebo effect works.
- Other important modalities for improving mental health.
Items mentioned in this episode include:
- Beekeepersnaturals.com/model -- Save 20% on raw honey & other natural remedies!
- Foursigmatic.com/model -- Get an exclusive discount on your daily health elixirs!
- EatSmarterCookbook.com -- Preorder the cookbook today & claim your bonuses!
- The Distracted Mind by Adam Gazzaley
- Connect with Dr. Adam Gazzaley Website
Join TMHS Facebook community - Model Nation
Be sure you are subscribed to this podcast to automatically receive your episodes: