TMHS 721: 5 Ways To Stop Cravings For Unhealthy Foods
What drives us to have cravings toward certain foods? And what can we learn from our cravings? On this episode of The Model Health Show, you’re going to learn about what cravings actually are, what causes them, and five specific strategies to stop craving unhealthy foods.
You’re going to learn the evolution of cravings throughout human history, how environmental inputs like stress and sleep can affect your desire for certain foods, and which hormones help regulate your food intake. We’ll dive into the body’s constant search for homeostasis and how cravings factor into that equation.
And once you have a strong foundation of how cravings occur, we’re going to discuss five ways to stop cravings for healthy food. These strategies include regulating your blood sugar, implementing stress relief practices, and a whole lot more. This episode is full of practical tips you can use to reduce cravings – so click play, listen in, and enjoy the show!
In this episode you’ll discover:
- What cravings are, and what causes them.
- Three major sources of cravings.
- What post-ingestive feedback is.
- How human cravings have evolved over time.
- The connection between stress levels and cravings.
- Why neuroassociations with certain people or places can cause distinct cravings.
- A distinction between cravings and appetite.
- What the appetite regulating network is, and how it works.
- How leptin resistance occurs.
- The link between stress, vitamin C, and cravings for ultra-processed foods.
- How dysregulated blood sugar can cause cravings.
- An interesting link between nutrient deficiencies and overeating.
- What vanishing caloric density is.
- The important role sleep plays in regulating food cravings.
- What the #1 blood sugar regulator is, and its function in diminishing cravings.
- The link between cravings and culture.
- How limiting ultra-processed foods can help reduce cravings.
Join TMHS Facebook community - Model Nation
Items mentioned in this episode include:
- Levels.link/model -- Join today and get 2 free months with a one-year membership!
- Organifi.com/Model -- Use the coupon code MODEL for 20% off + free shipping!
- EatSmarterCookbook.com -- Preorder the cookbook today & claim your bonuses!
Be sure you are subscribed to this podcast to automatically receive your episodes: