The Art of Flow
In hip-hop, what draws us to an artist is not just the content of their lyrics but how they deliver them. Along with tapping your foot to the rhythm, understanding something called “flow” is essential to understanding hip-hop as a whole.
In this episode of Switched On Pop, we interview genre icon DJ Jazzy Jeff on the concept of flow: what it is, how it applies to all music – not just hip-hop – and how any rapper’s flow can be analyzed under his guidelines. Taking his word for it, we put our magnifying glasses on to look at the bars of our favorite rappers, from Megan thee Stallion to Babytron.
- The Notorious B.I.G. - Big Poppa
- Mary J. Blige - Family Affair
- A Tribe Called Quest - The Hop
- Danger Mouse, Black Thought - Aquamarine
- BabyTron - Crocs & Wock’
- RXKNephew - Take Three
- JID - Better Days (feat. Johnta Austin)
- Megan Thee Stallion - Not Nice
- Megan Thee Stallion - Cocky Af
Learn more about your ad choices. Visit podcastchoices.com/adchoices