The Unapologetic Guide to Black Mental Health with Dr. Rheeda Walker
Mental health is wealth. Today Zuri is joined by Dr. Rheeda Walker to discuss the stigma of mental health within the Black community, how anxiety can take hold of our daily lives, how we can use psychological fortitude to begin our healing journeys, and her new book: The Unapologetic Guide to Black Mental Health.
The conversation continues as Zuri and Dr. Rheeda explore the toll of high-functioning depression amongst Black women, why we need to reject the stereotype of being the strong friend, and the rising trend of death by suicide within the Black community.
As July is BIPOC Mental Health Month, we want you to know that this episode is for everyone, regardless of race or ethnicity. There is something for everyone in this deeply meaningful, empowering, and informative episode.
If you feel triggered or need further assistance: The National Suicide Prevention and Crisis Lifeline is 988 or 800-273-TALK (8255).
Content Warning: 1:10:51
Don’t forget to hit hothappymess.com for all the show notes mentioned in this episode and for ALL the deets on joining our exclusive Facebook group!
Recent episodes: if ya feel like binging:
- ICYMI: Episode 66: How to Find a Therapist- A Complete Guide
- ICYMI: Episode 65: Here’s How to Use Astrology for Happiness, Love, Success, and Wellness
- ICYMI: Episode 64: How to Build Your Confidence and Become That Girl!!!
- ICYMI: Episode 62: How to Cultivate Unconditional Self Worth
- ICYMI: Episode 61: How To Authentically Make (and KEEP) Friends as an Adult
- ICYMI: Episode 40: Got Peace? The Six Types of Boundaries to Reclaim Yourself
- ICYMI: Episode 34: Are You Ready to Slay Your Anxiety?!
- Reclaim Your Life! This Woman Conquered Crippling Anxiety...And You Can Too!
- ICYMI: Episode 21.5: Soooo.... I BOUGHT A HOUSE!!!
- ICYMI: Episode 10: I Have Commitment Issues, Let's Chat, Attachment Styles
- Episode 1: How to Be Happy (But Also WTF Do I Know)
See omnystudio.com/listener for privacy information.