Who’s Most at Risk of Monkeypox as It Spreads
Monkeypox is currently spreading mostly within the queer community, but experts warn the diseases could expand its reach into other groups where skin-to-skin contact is common, from wrestling teams to spas. Guest host Stephanie Wittels Wachs speaks with Dr. Jay Varma and scientist and queer activist Joseph Osmundson about why cases continue to spread, including a poor rollout of available vaccines, treatment, and testing. They also discuss how to stay protected if you or a loved one is in an at-risk group.
Keep up with Andy on Twitter @ASlavitt.
Joining Lemonada Premium is a great way to support our show and get bonus content. Subscribe today at bit.ly/lemonadapremium.
Support the show by checking out our sponsors!
- Click this link for a list of current sponsors and discount codes for this show and all Lemonada shows: https://lemonadamedia.com/sponsors/
Check out these resources from today’s episode:
- Read the piece written by Jay and Joe about the urgent need to expand access to Monkeypox treatments: https://www.statnews.com/2022/07/15/monkeypox-patients-should-not-be-left-to-suffer-when-an-fda-approved-drug-could-help/
- Read about why 300,000 vaccine doses sat unused as Monkeypox spread in New York: https://www.nytimes.com/2022/07/25/nyregion/nyc-monkeypox-vaccine-doses-denmark.html
- Listen to Andy’s previous episode about Monkeypox with epidemiologist Anne Rimoin: https://lemonadamedia.com/podcast/should-we-worry-about-monkeypox-with-anne-rimoin/
- Find vaccines, masks, testing, treatments, and other resources in your community: https://www.covid.gov/
- Order Andy’s book, “Preventable: The Inside Story of How Leadership Failures, Politics, and Selfishness Doomed the U.S. Coronavirus Response”: https://us.macmillan.com/books/9781250770165
Stay up to date with us on Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram at @LemonadaMedia.
For additional resources, information, and a transcript of the episode, visit lemonadamedia.com/show/inthebubble.
See omnystudio.com/listener for privacy information.