#29: Dan Martell
Dan Martell is a Canadian entrepreneur, investor, best-selling author of "Buy Back Your Time," and coach to over 1000+ SaaS founders.
In this episode, Dan shares how a chaotic childhood and bad decisions landed him in prison as a teenager; how a conversation with a guard and a single book changed the course of his life; and how he applies business principles to improve his health and well-being while deepening his relationships with his wife and sons.
He also speaks about:
- Being diagnosed with ADHD at a young age, getting involved with drugs and crime, and ending up in prison twice before the age of 17
- How a respected guard questioned why he was in prison and expressed that he doesn't belong there, which motivated him to make positive changes in his life
- His journey as a self-taught programmer and becoming a millionaire at 30
- Why he hired a business coach for $1500/month before he even had an idea for a company
- How to avoid building a business you come to hate
- Applying business planning and tracking methods to improving your relationship with your family
- How to get your kids to listen to you by becoming someone they want to emulate
- The importance of choosing words carefully when describing children
- The value of auditing your time and energy
- The ‘Buyback Loop’ for hiring people to buy back your time, rather than hiring them solely to grow your business
- Buying a jet (!) as the ultimate "buy back your time" move
Books mentioned in this episode:
Buy Back Your Time by Dan Martell
The E-Myth Revisited: Why Most Small Businesses Don't Work and What to Do About It by Michael E. Gerber
Think and Grow Rich by Napoleon Hill
Dan’s charitable cause:
The Boys and Girls Clubs of America, which has a vision of “assuring success is within reach of every young person who enters their doors, with all members on track to graduate from high school with a plan for the future, demonstrating good character and citizenship, and living a healthy lifestyle”.
Send Dan an Instagram DM with the keyword ‘EA’ and he will send you his assistant SOP document.
Connect with Dan on socials: