#30: Michael Unbroken
Michael Unbroken is a coach, speaker, advocate for survivors of childhood trauma, and the best-selling author of ‘Think Unbroken: Understanding and Overcoming Childhood Trauma.'
In this episode, Michael shares his experience with childhood abuse; how he overcame it through a combination of forgiveness and self-development; how he built a successful business and lost 100 pounds; and how he helps others work through the impacts of trauma today.
Michael also speaks about:
- Being raised by a drug-addicted mother and a racist grandmother, leading him to a life of addiction and chaos
- How genetic and energetic factors play a role in passing down behaviors and experiences from one generation to another
- How forgiveness is for oneself, not for others – and how it helped him find release and freedom
- How he achieved his goal to make $100k per year legally by age 26
- The teacher that changed and saved his life
- Confronting his own victim mentality and adopting a tough approach to personal growth
- The negative impact of the American food system and the government's misleading food pyramid
- His journey of starting with a yoga program, losing weight, and eventually becoming a certified personal trainer and nutritionist
- How he moved away from religion and found spirituality, tapping into the universe through meditation and visualization
- The importance of taking risks that lead to unexpected opportunities
- How childhood trauma, regardless of its severity, can have long-lasting effects on mental health, addiction, and physical well-being
- The importance of intervening and speaking up against abuse when you see it
Books mentioned in this episode:
The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho
Crush It by Gary Vaynerchuk
The 10X Rule by Grant Cardone
Michael’s charitable cause:
Operation Underground Railroad, which “exists to rescue children from sex trafficking and sexual exploitation around the globe”.
Connect with Michael on socials: