#31: Jordan Grumet
Jordan "Doc G" Grumet is a hospice doctor, blogger, podcaster and author who has dedicated his life to pursuing deep conversations about money and life.
In this episode, Jordan shares what he's learned from his conversations with dying patients as they look back on their lives; why he found it so difficulty to shed his "doctor" identity and embrace his true passion; and his thoughts on the FIRE movement, happiness, and how to find meaning in your career and relationships.
Jordan also talks about:
- How his father's death led him to a career in medicine, and what pushed him away from that field
- The various ways his patients handle the prospect of dying
- The biggest regrets of the dying
- The problem with the idea that once you save a certain sum of money, you'll be happy
- How to determine how much "YOLO money" to set aside
- Why version 1.0 of the FIRE movement is "too austere"
- Why you might not need as much money as you think in order to start living the life you were meant to live
- Why real estate is the fastest, most secure route to millionaire status
- The best piece of advice he's gotten and why he thinks about it every time he's doing something hard
- The habits, books and advice that have helped Jordan lead a better life
Jordan's charitable cause:
Give a Mile, a nonprofit that collects airline reward mile donations and offers flights to connect people in palliative or critical care with their loved ones
Connect with Jordan:
- Buy his book, Taking Stock
- Doc G Blog: DiverseFI