456: Dopamine, better sex & the science of long-lasting relationships | Psychiatrist Daniel Lieberman, M.D.
Daniel Lieberman, M.D.: “We've gotten so good at the future that we've lost our ability to be happy and fulfilled in the present.”
Daniel, a psychiatrist and bestselling author, joins mbg co-CEO, Jason Wachob, to discuss how to better manage your dopamine, plus:
- The relationship between your conscious & unconscious mind (~01:36 )
- Why you can’t control your unconscious mind (~04:19 )
- How the research of unconsciousness has evolved (~06:26 )
- How to have a productive relationship between your conscious & unconscious mind (~08:30 )
- What fairy tales & myths can tell us about the unconscious mind (~10:55 )
- How to find the rationality in mysticism (~13:59 )
- How to interpret a tarot card reading (~16:33 )
- The power of gut feelings (~18:27 )
- The link between anxiety & unconsciousness (~20:49 )
- How dopamine affects your brain (~25:28 )
- Why we’re so terrible at managing dopamine (~27:47 )
- How instant vs. delayed gratification affects your dopamine circuits (~31:48 )
- How porn can be destructive (~34:12 )
- The keys for a long, successful relationship (~37:21 )
- The psychology of a midlife crisis (~42:10 )
- How to manage dopamine more productively (~45:35 )
- The difference between donating time and money (~47:49 )
- How to create a more meaningful life (~51:47 )
Referenced in the episode:
- Daniel's newest book, Spellbound.
- Daniel's previous bestseller, The Molecule Of More.
- Research on how the unconscious mind processes information.
- A study on volunteering time vs. money.
- Thinking, Fast and Slow, by Daniel Kahneman.
Take 25% off vitamin D3 potency+ with code D3POD. Cannot combine with gift cards or other discount codes. Apply code at checkout.
We hope you enjoy this episode, and feel free to watch the full video on YouTube! Whether it's an article or podcast, we want to know what we can do to help here at mindbodygreen. Let us know at: email@example.com.