458: Must-have gut health habits & what to do after taking antibiotics | Gastroenterologist Robynne Chutkan, M.D.
Robynne Chutkan, M.D.: “If we're not moving, neither are our bowels.”
Robynne, an integrative gastroenterologist, joins mbg co-CEO, Jason Wachob, to discuss daily habits for better gut health, plus:
- Robynne’s research on the gut microbiome (~00:33 )
- Robynne’s background as a gastroenterologist (~02:36 )
- How the science on the microbiome has evolved (~06:22 )
- How to know if your gut microbiome is healthy (~09:35 )
- How diet affects your gut microbiome (~11:49 )
- What makes ultra-processed foods so problematic (~16:32 )
- The best foods for gut health (~22:01 )
- The potential dangers of proton pump inhibitors (~26:26 )
- How antibiotics affect your gut & how to know (~32:08 )
- What to do if your kid gets frequent ear infections (~37:28 )
- Germ theory versus terrain theory (~43:27 )
- The connection between obesity & prolonged viral shedding (~52:18 )
- How spending time outdoors can support recovery (~56:11 )
- Robynne’s non-negotiable habits for optimal gut health (~01:00:05 )
Referenced in the episode:
- Robynne's books: The Anti-Viral Gut, Gutbliss, The Microbiome Solution, and The Bloat Cure.
- Watch Robynne's discussion at mbg revitalize 2015.
- A study on how the gut microbiome affects COVID outcomes.
- A study on how COVID affects the gut microbiome.
- A study on the benefits of eating 30 different plants per week.
- A study on PPI's and the gut.
- A study on PPI's and COVID.
- A study on maternal diet & infant RSV.
- A study on obesity & prolonged viral shedding.
- Read about the open air factor & the Spanish flu.
- Check out Robynne's free Anti-Viral Gut Master Class.
- mbg Podcast episode #57 and #50, with Rich Roll.
- mbg Podcast episode #411, #293, and #29, with Mark Sisson.
- mbg Podcast episode #311, #228, #203, and #43, with Light Watkins.
- The Dirt Cure, by Maya Shetreat-Klein, M.D.
Take 25% off probiotic+ with code PROBIOTICPOD. Cannot combine with gift cards or other discount codes. Apply code at checkout.
We hope you enjoy this episode, and feel free to watch the full video on YouTube! Whether it's an article or podcast, we want to know what we can do to help here at mindbodygreen. Let us know at: firstname.lastname@example.org.