468: The secret sauce of happiness | Psychiatrist Robert Waldinger, M.D.
Order a copy of my new book The Joy Of Well-Being at thejoyofwellbeing.com!
Robert Waldinger, M.D.: “People who are more concerned about others are happier.”
Robert, a psychiatrist, psychoanalyst, and Zen practitioner, joins us to discuss how to live a life full of purpose, happiness, and health, plus:
- Robert’s professional background and research (~00:13 )
- What makes up a “good” life? (~01:15 )
- The longest study every done on adult life (~02:01 )
- What happiness looked like 80 years ago versus today (~03:21 )
- Why we’re more unhappy than ever (~06:27 )
- Why strong relationships are crucial for well-being (~07:39 )
- How happiness changes as you age (~10:03 )
- The biggest takeaways from the Harvard Study of Adult Development (~11:42 )
- How casual relationships impact your health (~12:54 )
- How technology & social media really affects happiness (~14:33 )
- Why wealth & fame makes some people happy but not others (~17:26 )
- A meditation practice for genuine happiness (~21:04 )
- Why loneliness is a huge health issue (~22:33 )
- How to make genuine connects with others (~23:33 )
- The role of purpose & community in happiness (~30:16 )
- The biggest happiness myths (~34:37 )
- Why not every friendship has to last (~37:02 )
- The keys to maintaining happiness from generation to generation (~39:21 )
- The future of happiness research (~43:11 )
- How to start a social fitness routine (~45:32 )
Referenced in the episode:
- Robert's book, The Good Life.
- Watch Robert's TED Talk.
- A survey revealing 1 in 4 Gen Z-ers plan to become influencers.
- Bowling Alone, by Robert Putnam.
- Read more about Erik Erikson's theory of generativity.
- Sign up for The Long Game.
We hope you enjoy this episode sponsored by NerdWallet, and feel free to watch the full video on YouTube! Whether it's an article or podcast, we want to know what we can do to help here at mindbodygreen. Let us know at: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Learn more about your ad choices. Visit megaphone.fm/adchoices