476: Is cardio overrated? | OB-GYN Jaime Seeman, M.D.
“If you want to age successfully, you need to focus on muscle," says Jaime Seeman, M.D.
Jaime, a board-certified OB-GYN and board-certified keto nutrition specialist, joins us to discuss the best foods for hormonal balance, why strength training is crucial for healthy aging, plus:
- Jaime’s background & personal health journey (~00:32 )
- Why most OB-GYN’s don’t talk about nutrition (~09:27 )
- Why nutrition is crucial during pregnancy (~10:22 )
- Surprising patterns Jaime sees right now in patients (~16:10 )
- How your hormones change over the years (~17:51 )
- How to balance your hormones by decade (~21:02 )
- Which labs women should ask for at the doctor (~24:45 )
- Sneaky factors messing with your hormones (~26:31 )
- How your protein needs change as you age (~28:07 )
- How to measure healthy body composition (~34:47 )
- Why BMI is so flawed (~38:36 )
- How gym culture is changing for women (~39:55 )
- Why resistance training is crucial fro longevity (~43:05 )
- Well-being practices Jaime wishes we would take more seriously (~46:57 )
- The link between exercise & mental health (~49:49 )
- How Jaime optimizes her circadian rhythm (~52:18 )
- Jaime’s energy hacks after a night of poor sleep (~54:37 )
- The most overrated & underrated wellness habits (~58:07 )
- The best questions to ask your OB-GYN (~01:02:07 )
Order a copy of my new book The Joy Of Well-Being at thejoyofwellbeing.com!
Referenced in the episode:
- Jaime's book, Hard To Kill.
- Check out Jaime's website.
- Follow Jaime on Instagram.
- A study on bed rest and muscle loss.
- A WSJ article on the increase of violence among kids.
- mbg Podcast episode #451, with Chris Palmer, M.D.
- Chris' book, Brain Energy.
- Sign up for The Long Game.
We hope you enjoy this episode, and feel free to watch the full video on YouTube! Whether it's an article or podcast, we want to know what we can do to help here at mindbodygreen. Let us know at: email@example.com.