477: The new science of metabolism & body fat | William Li, M.D.
“Body fat actually helps to control your metabolism," says William Li, M.D.
William, an internationally renowned medical doctor, researcher, and New York Times bestselling author, joins us to discuss everything he's learned about optimizing metabolism and body fat, plus:
- William’s professional background & work (~00:21 )
- The science of body fat & health (~03:26 )
- What we’re still getting wrong about body fat (~09:35 )
- How we should think about body fat for long-term health (~14:31 )
- How to assess the health of your body fat (~19:14 )
- How to measure your metabolism (~22:15 )
- The 4 stages of metabolism & how to control them (~30:27 )
- Why 60 can become the new 20 (~33:29 )
- How to get your metabolism back on track (~36:00 )
- The best metabolism-boosting foods (~44:43 )
- The most unexpected foods to help burn fat (~50:59 )
- How ACV helps you maintain a healthy weight (~56:33 )
- The health benefits & risks of mushrooms (~57:56 )
- Foods to avoid for the sake of your metabolism (~01:01:19 )
- How to optimize good gut bacteria (~01:06:46 )
- A case for drinking more pomegranate juice (~01:16:29 )
- Why you shouldn’t drink the coffee served on airplanes (~01:19:15 )
Referenced in the episode:
- William's new book, Eat To Beat Your Diet.
- mbg Podcast episode #297, with William.
- Follow William on Instagram.
- A study on fat stem cells & regeneration.
- Research on the stages of metabolism.
- A study on ACV & weight maintenance.
- A study on Akkermansia & obesity.
- A study on Akkermansia & cancer.
- A study on beans & weight.
- Sign up for The Long Game.
We hope you enjoy this episode sponsored by NerdWallet, and feel free to watch the full video on YouTube! Whether it's an article or podcast, we want to know what we can do to help here at mindbodygreen. Let us know at: email@example.com.