483: Addicted to Drama? | Clinical psychologist Scott Lyons, Ph.D.
“Trauma is not the event. It's the response of how it gets stored," says Scott Lyons, Ph.D.
Scott, a clinical psychologist and body-based trauma expert, joins us to discuss how we all can recover from drama addiction, metabolize trauma, and break free of the stress cycle, plus:
- Scott’s personal story & professional work (~00:16 )
- How to know if you’re addicted to drama (~07:16 )
- How to tap into your reflective narrative (~12:40 )
- When should you grow out of temper tantrums? (~17:50 )
- How trauma gets passed down across generations (~24:00 )
- How stored trauma can negatively impact your health (~28:13 )
- How to minimize pressure & shame in the wellness space (~33:09 )
- How to know if you’re hiding behind a wellness front (~38:46 )
- How to live with less drama & stress (~44:44 )
- How to stop social media from stressing you out (~49:09 )
- How to identify weaponized empathy (~57:09 )
- The most common dramatic archetypes (~59:59 )
- How to raise drama-free kids (~01:12:58 )
Order a copy of my new book The Joy Of Well-Being at thejoyofwellbeing.com!
Referenced in the episode:
- Scott's book, Addicted To Drama.
- Take Scott's drama quiz.
- mbg Podcast episode #459, with Gabor Maté, M.D.
- A study on genetic markers for PTSD risk after 9/11.
- You Can Heal Your Life, by Louise Hay.
- An article on anger & virality.
- Sign up for The Long Game.
- Learn more about the Vitamix FoodCycler Eco 5.
We hope you enjoy this episode, and feel free to watch the full video on YouTube! Whether it's an article or podcast, we want to know what we can do to help here at mindbodygreen. Let us know at: email@example.com.
Learn more about your ad choices. Visit megaphone.fm/adchoices