492: How women should exercise as they age | Award-winning sports journalist Christine Yu
“Respect your body where it is,” says Christine Yu.
Christine, an award-winning sports journalist and author, joins us to discuss everything women should know about starting an exercise routine, plus:
- Christine’s personal & professional background (~00:15 )
- How women & men exercise differently (~02:46 )
- Why women tend to have more knee injuries (~05:04 )
- How to prevent injuries as you age (~13:21 )
- The importance of rest & recovery for kids (~17:48 )
- How to raise your kids to be good sports (~22:20 )
- How early you should start strength training (~25:44 )
- How to eat for hormonal balance (~30:42 )
- Where women have more strength advantages over men (~34:51 )
- How to enhance your mental game (~39:38 )
- Why so many people get injured playing pickle ball (~44:38 )
- How long you actually need to rest & recover after an injury (~48:07 )
- The importance of joy in exercise (~54:43 )
- The future of exercise research (~57:18 )
- The woman athlete Christine admires most (~01:00:51 )
Trigger warning: This podcast contains mentions of disordered eating.
Referenced in the episode:
- Christine's book, Up to Speed: The Groundbreaking Science of Women Athletes.
- mbg Podcast episode #404, with Maria Shriver.
- Research on ACL tears in women.
- A study on knee differences between female dancers & soccer players.
- A study on female vs. male ultra-marathoners.
Tale 15% off methylation support+ with code SUPPORT15. Cannot combine with gift cards or other discount codes. Apply code at checkout.
We hope you enjoy this episode, and feel free to watch the full video on YouTube! Whether it's an article or podcast, we want to know what we can do to help here at mindbodygreen. Let us know at: email@example.com.
Learn more about your ad choices. Visit megaphone.fm/adchoices