791: Math or Magic?
When it comes to finding love, there seems to be two schools of thought on the best way to go about it. One says, wait for that lightning-strike magic. The other says, make a calculation and choose the best option available. Who has it right?
- Prologue: When guest host Tobin Low was looking for a husband, he got opposing advice from two of the most important people in his life, his mom and his best friend. (8 minutes)
- Act One: Zarna Garg had a clear plan for how she was going to find a husband. Things did not go as she expected. (17 minutes)
- Act Two: People who fall in love at first sight often describe it as a kind of magic. One of our producers, Aviva DeKornfeld, is skeptical of these sorts of claims. And also a little envious. (10 minutes)
- Act Three: Calvin is an 11 year old who is learning what love is all about, the hard way. (7 minutes)
- Act Four: Writer Marie Phillips believes that magic is not just reserved for the beginning of a relationship. In fact, she says the real magic can be found in the end, once you decide to finally leave. (8 minutes)
- Coda: Tobin Low tells us which camp he falls in — math or magic. (2 minutes)
Transcripts are available at thisamericanlife.org
My wife and I, married 27 of the 30 we've known each other, passed on a NYC subway. We were going in different directions, but I turned around and have been moving forward with her ever since!