Bitcoin boo-boo, deepfakes for good, and time to say goodbye to usernames?
Deepfakes are being used for good (perhaps), common usernames could pose a security threat, and someone has paid a $500,000 fee... just to send $1,865.
Oh, and our guest mentions Mr Blobby (to the horror of the show's hosts...)
All this and much much more is discussed in the latest edition of the "Smashing Security" podcast by cybersecurity veterans Graham Cluley and Carole Theriault, joined this week by The Cyberwire's Dave Bittner.
Warning: This podcast may contain nuts, adult themes, and rude language.
- Tweet by Jameson Lopp.
- Bitcoin user’s costly error leads to record transaction fee of $510,000 - Cryptoslate.
- Root Admin User: When Do Common Usernames Pose a Threat? - GovInfoSecurity.
- 25:34 " target="_blank">Dave’s conversation with Crosstalk’s Chris Sherwood - Hacking Humans podcast.
- Passkey authentication - Wikipedia.
- Passkeys: Accelerating the Availability of Simpler, Stronger Passwordless Sign-Ins - FIDO Alliance.
- Test your mental image ability - Aphantasia.
- How to create your own personal deepfake - Axios.
- Deepfakes are being used for good – here’s how - Connecting Research - University of Reading.
- Six things you need to know about deepfakes - BBC Radio 4.
- Mitigating Aphantasia with Generative Reality - Medium.
- Ethical Deepfake Maker - Synthesia.
- HeyGen deepfakes - HeyGen.
- Deepfakes are being used for good – here's how - The Conversation.
- Search engines required to stamp out AI-generated images of child abuse under Australia’s new code - The Guardian.
- Induction Hob with Rotary Controls - Cookology.
- Top 10 WTF Mr Blobby Moments - YouTube.
- Lessons in Chemistry by Bonnie Garmus review – the right comic formula - The Guardian.
- "Lessons in Chemistry” - Book by Bonnie Garmus.
- Smashing Security merchandise (t-shirts, mugs, stickers and stuff)
- Kolide – Kolide ensures that if your device isn’t secure it can’t access your cloud apps. It’s Device Trust for Okta. Watch the demo today!
- Moonlock — cybersecurity wing of MacPaw. Developers of the antimalware tech in CleanMyMac X — Moonlock Engine.
- Gigamon – Download the Gigamon Hybrid Cloud Security Survey to learn about the hidden dangers of encrypted traffic.
SUPPORT THE SHOW:
Theme tune: "Vinyl Memories" by Mikael Manvelyan.
Assorted sound effects: AudioBlocks.