Chasing the 9s
This week Adam talks with Marcin Kurc about chasing the 9s. Marcin is the Co-founder and CEO of Nobl9 where they build tools for managing service level objectives, aka SLOs. We also talk about service level agreements (SLAs), service level indicators (SLIs), error budgets, and monitoring, and how it all comes together to help teams align on goals, improve customer satisfaction, manage risks, increase transparency, and of course, a favorite around here…continuous improvement. Kaizen! This is an awesome deep dive into the world of chasing those 9s, and how teams are levering SLOs to earn the trust of their customers as well showcase transparency.
Changelog++ members save 1 minute on this episode because they made the ads disappear. Join today!
- Square – Develop on the platform that sellers trust. There is a massive opportunity for developers to support Square sellers by building apps for today’s business needs. Learn more at changelog.com/square to dive into the docs, APIs, SDKs and to create your Square Developer account — tell them Changelog sent you.
- Fly.io – The home of Changelog.com — Deploy your apps and databases close to your users. In minutes you can run your Ruby, Go, Node, Deno, Python, or Elixir app (and databases!) all over the world. No ops required. Learn more at fly.io/changelog and check out the speedrun in their docs.
- Fastly – Our bandwidth partner. Fastly powers fast, secure, and scalable digital experiences. Move beyond your content delivery network to their powerful edge cloud platform. Learn more at fastly.com
- Marcin Kurc – Twitter, LinkedIn, Website
- Adam Stacoviak – Mastodon, Twitter, GitHub, LinkedIn, Website
Something missing or broken? PRs welcome!
(00:00 ) - This week on The Changelog
(01:12 ) - Sponsor: Square
(02:05 ) - Start the show!
(06:39 ) - SLAs vs SLOs
(09:02 ) - Finding this gap?
(13:25 ) - How do you create an SLA?
(16:21 ) - SLAs and incidents
(22:27 ) - SLOs before Nobl9?
(26:22 ) - SLOs are about transparency
(35:37 ) - What's the dream with Nobl9?
(39:17 ) - From 0 to 1 with SLOs
(42:33 ) - What's the maturity of the market?
(44:35 ) - OK, what's an SLI?
(45:12 ) - How would you rate yourself?
(49:29 ) - What keeps you up a night?
(51:16 ) - What's over the horizon?
(51:59 ) - Closing out the show
(52:54 ) - Outro