EBB 261 - Ask Me Anything about Group B Strep
In this bonus episode, we wrap up our 2-part series on Group B Strep in Pregnancy, where I answer some of your questions following the first two episodes.
Here are the questions answered in this bonus episode:
- Is it possible to retest between an initial GBS swab and going into labor? Are there things that can be done to get a negative test before labor occurs?
- If you are GBS positive in one pregnancy, are you likely to be positive in subsequent pregnancies?
- Discussion about an important limitation to one of the studies in our GBS update.
- Discussion about risk factors and the “Other Risk Factor” approach vs the Universal Screening approach
- Is there evidence for screening for GBS twice in the same pregnancy?
Make sure you listen to Part 1 and Part 2 to review the updated GBS research.
- Listen to EBB 254: Group B Strep in Pregnancy Part 1 here
- Listen to EBB 257: Group B Strep in Pregnancy Part 2 here
- Listen EBB 87: Cristen Pascucci on How to Disagree on Birth Topics Respectfully! here
- Learn more about the use of antibiotics in labor in our Pocket Guide to Labor Interventions
- Parente V, Clark RH, Ku L, Fennell C, Johnson M, Morris E, Romaine A, Utin U, Benjamin DK, Messina JA, Smith PB, Greenberg RG. Risk factors for group B streptococcal disease in neonates of mothers with negative antenatal testing. J Perinatol. 2017 Feb;37(2):157-161. doi: 10.1038/jp.2016.201. Epub 2016 Nov 17. PMID: 27853322; PMCID: PMC5280520.
- Kabiri D, Hants Y, Yarkoni TR, Shaulof E, Friedman SE, Paltiel O, Nir-Paz R, Aljamal WE, Ezra Y. Antepartum Membrane Stripping in GBS Carriers, Is It Safe? (The STRIP-G Study). PLoS One. 2015 Dec 31;10(12):e0145905. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0145905. PMID: 26719985; PMCID: PMC4697801.
For more information and news about Evidence Based Birth®, visit www.ebbirth.com.
Find us on:
Ready to get involved?