Goodbye Atom. Hello Zed.
This week we’re talking with Nathan Sobo about his next big thing. Nathan is known for his work on the Atom editor while at GitHub. But his work wasn’t finished when he left, so…he started Zed, a high-performance multiplayer editor that’s engineered for performance. And today, Nathan talks us through all the details.
Changelog++ members get a bonus 14 minutes at the end of this episode and zero ads. Join today!
- Postman – Build APIs together — More than 20 million developers use Postman for building and using APIs. Postman simplifies each step of the API lifecycle and streamlines collaboration so you can create better APIs—faster.
- Fastly – Our bandwidth partner. Fastly powers fast, secure, and scalable digital experiences. Move beyond your content delivery network to their powerful edge cloud platform. Learn more at fastly.com
- Fly.io – The home of Changelog.com — Deploy your apps and databases close to your users. In minutes you can run your Ruby, Go, Node, Deno, Python, or Elixir app (and databases!) all over the world. No ops required. Learn more at fly.io/changelog and check out the speedrun in their docs.
- Nathan Sobo – Twitter, GitHub
- Adam Stacoviak – Mastodon, Twitter, GitHub, LinkedIn, Website
- Jerod Santo – Mastodon, Twitter, GitHub, LinkedIn
- Zed raises $10M for a code editor built for collaboration
- The Changelog #241: The Story of Atom with Nathan Sobo
- GitHub officially says farewell to Atom
- Founders Talk #7:Henk Rogers / The Tetris Company
Something missing or broken? PRs welcome!
(00:00 ) - This week on The Changelog
(00:52 ) - Start the show!
(02:38 ) - Tetris!
(08:20 ) - What's the mission of Zed?
(15:39 ) - When GitHub was acquired
(22:49 ) - Performance, extensibility, collaboration
(29:11 ) - Sponsor: Postman
(31:59 ) - GPUI invented here
(38:30 ) - Zed is going big
(48:35 ) - Paging Chris Wanstrath!
(48:53 ) - Engineered for performance
(52:03 ) - Are you hiring?
(57:49 ) - What's the business model?
(1:02:40 ) - What makes a dev change?
(1:05:50 ) - This multi-player world
(1:14:21 ) - What can devs expect?
(1:18:06 ) - Fast tooling is fast
(1:25:02 ) - Closing out the show
(1:25:49 ) - Outro