Best of gut health - anniversary edition
Gut health is a topic we talk about a lot at ZOE. The gut doesn’t just fight disease, it boosts our mood, processes energy and so much more. Today’s bonus episode journeys through everything we’ve learnt about gut health so far. And what a myth-busting journey it is!
In this episode, Jonathan delves into the microbiome, highlighting the most useful tips from conversations with ZOE’s U.S. Medical Director and resident gut health expert, Will Bulsiewicz, and Tim Spector, one of top 100 most cited scientists and author Food for Life.
Take part in the Big Poo Review 💩. Fill out the survey here.
If you want to uncover the right foods for your body, head to joinzoe.com/podcast and get 10% off your personalised nutrition program.
00:00 - Intro
01:27 - Is bacteria bad for us?
04:10 - How is the microbiome affected by what we eat?
10:00 - What happens to the gut when fasting?
11:53 - Why bacteria eats the inside of our bodies
13:59 - What causes heartburn?
17:00 - What’s going on with gas and bloating?
19:09 - Tell-tale signs of constipation
22:42 - How to treat constipation
25:52 - Other signs of an unhealthy gut
27:20 - Why do doctors ask about your trips to the bathroom?
29:37 - Tips for tackling an unhealthy gut
31:40 - Outro
Episode transcripts are available here.
Will’s book is available to buy here.
Tim’s book is available to buy here.
Full length episodes mentioned:
- Signs of an unhealthy gut
- Gut bacteria and fasting: meet the night crew - The Big IF Dailies
- Gas and bloating: the causes and how to stop it
- Your gut is full of bugs: why this is great news
- The ultimate guide to constipation
- Heartburn: Why it happens and what you can do
Referenced in today’s episode:
- A redefinition of constipation from King’s College London
- The State Of The Nation’s Gut, a report from the U.K.-based Love Your Gut initiative
- Epidemiology of constipation in Europe and Oceania: A systematic review published in BMC Gastroenterology
- Recent advances in understanding and managing chronic constipation published in F1000Research
- The Bristol Stool Scale
- ZOE’s Blue Poop Challenge
- Blue poo: Impact of gut transit time on the gut microbiome using a novel marker published in Gut
Follow ZOE on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/zoe/
Want to create your own podcast? Contact Fascinate Productions to bring it to life.