How to Find Hope and Kinship with Father Greg Boyle and Fabian Devora
Father Gregory Boyle is an American Jesuit priest and the founder of Homeboy Industries in Los Angeles, the largest gang-intervention, rehabilitation, and reentry program in the world. He has received the California Peace Prize and been inducted into the California Hall of Fame. In 2014, the White House named Boyle a Champion of Change. He received the University of Notre Dame’s 2017 Laetare Medal, the oldest honor given to American Catholics. He is the acclaimed author of Tattoos on the Heart, Barking to the Choir, and his latest book, Forgive Everyone Everything.
Fabian Debora is the artist and illustrator of the book, Forgive Everyone Everything. His work has been showcased in solo and group exhibitions throughout the US and abroad. Fabian served previously served as a counselor and the Director of Substance Abuse Services & Programming and a mentor at Homeboy Industries in Los Angeles and is now the Executive Director of Homebody Art Academy.
But wait, there’s more! The episode is not quite over!! We continue the conversation and you can access this exclusive content right in your podcast player feed. Head over to our Patreon page and pledge to donate just $10 a month. It’s that simple and we’ll give you good stuff as a thank you!
Father Greg Boyle & Fabian Debora and I Discuss How to Find Hope and Kinship
- His book, Forgive Everyone Everything
- The organization he founded, Homeboy Industries, to rehabilitate gang members
- Hope and how our focus must not be on outcomes
- How life is about removing the blindfold to see the goodness within us
- Joy is the love of being loving
- Equanimity and learning to not grasp at our pain
- Defining kinship as deep connection with others
- How we need to acknowledge privelege
- Fabian’s journey of recovery and his work with Homeboy Industries
- How his art represents his journey and lived experiences
- How he tells a story through his art
- His responsibility of an artist to combat stereotypes
- How he maintains hope amidst tragedy
- The legacy that he hopes to create for his family and community
- How kinship is a circle where everyone belongs
By purchasing products and/or services from our sponsors, you are helping to support The One You Feed and we greatly appreciate it. Thank you!
If you enjoyed this conversation with Father Greg Boyle and Fabian Debora, please check out these other episodes:
See omnystudio.com/listener for privacy information.