Kelly Wearstler ON: Why Changing Your Environment Will Change Your Mood and How to Access Curiosity to Pursue Your Passion
Do you want to live a more intentional life and unlock your creative spark?
Do you want to learn how to avoid feeling burnout?
Today, Kelly Wearsler joins us on the podcast to teach us how to create an environment that makes you happy, how to understand your own worth when creating a business, and how to train your own eye in order to improve your own home design.
Kelly is a multi-faceted and award-winning creator of experiential residential, hospitality, commercial and retail environments, expansive collections of lifestyle products and thought-provoking brand collaborations. Her designs have redefined the design industry and influenced the rise of designer hotels and experiences. She is best known for her eclectic and maximalist designs that tell a story. Some of her clients include Gwen Stefani and Cameron Diaz
Today we get to learn about Kelly in a deeper way. She takes us through her own journey of self discovery, starting her business from the ground up, and the moment that her mind changed on her most valued creation to date, her family.
Throughout our conversation, we explore the significance of designing spaces that evoke meaningful emotions. We also discuss strategies for ways to prevent burnout when juggling multiple projects.
Join us as we chat through living intentionally by using your environment to do so. You will love this episode if you are looking to make a change in your space!
With Love and Gratitude,
What We Discuss:
- 01:40 Can the art of designing make people happy?
- 03:22 “People want to see and experience something they haven’t seen before.”
- 04:53 Design is a combination of an old soul and a new spirit
- 10:31 How to stay open-minded for new ideas and not get lost in what is trending
- 12:20 Kelly shares how taking photos can help you find new patterns and styles
- 16:42 Curiosity is a driver in pursuing your passion
- 18:59 Take your time to find things that have meaning and connection to you
- 21:19 Jay explains the meaning behind the art pieces in his studio
- 22:51 The deep rooted interest in art and design
- 26:38 Kelly talks about her first project in Venice Beach
- 29:50 Then and now, concept presentations can be challenging
- 32:51 What was the most difficult part about starting your career?
- 35:29 Mistakes are important in any creative process
- 34:06 One of the projects that helped shift Kelly’s career
- 41:02 Let’s take a look at some of the best art projects in Kelly’s book
- 42:44 Do you need to spend big to create your own space?
- 44:50 Make do of what you’ve seen or have and make it interesting
- 48:13 “Give people an experience they can take an incredible memory with.”
- 49:34 How to incorporate plants when designing a place
- 50:33 Inspired by a home Kelly visited in Malibu
- 52:52 Being a mother is one of the most transformational experience for women
- 55:11 How do you stay present in your work and when with family?
- 56:25 “Creativity is your soul while replication is looking outward.”
- 57:34 To avoid burnout, saying no is just as important as saying yes
- 01:00:58 Transforming dreams into realistic art designs
- 01:02:55 How can artists appropriately price the worth of their work
- 01:08:05 Kelly Wearstler on Final Five
- Kelly Wearstler | Website
- Kelly Wearstler | Instagram
- Kelly Wearstler | Facebook
- Kelly Wearstler | TikTok
- Kelly Wearstler | Books
Want to be a Jay Shetty Certified Life Coach? Get the Digital Guide and Workbook from Jay Shetty https://jayshettypurpose.com/fb-getting-started-as-a-life-coach-podcast/
See omnystudio.com/listener for privacy information.