Ryan Holiday ON: The Importance of Being Disciplined With Our Ambition & How to Get Comfortable with Change
Today, I sit down with Ryan Holiday to talk about living a life of discipline. Ryan and I share our thoughts and opinions on the different forms of disciplines and how they are formed in different cultures, the value of your time and with whom are you spending most of it, and how to be more kind to yourself and make decisions that are more centered on your well-being.
Ryan Holiday is an author, marketer, and entrepreneur. He is known for his writings on Stoicism and has written several books on the subject, including "The Obstacle is the Way," "Ego is the Enemy," and "The Daily Stoic." He has also worked as a marketing strategist for companies such as American Apparel and has written several other books on topics such as growth hacking and media manipulation. Ryan hosts the popular podcast, The Daily Stoic.
You can order my new book 8 RULES OF LOVE at 8rulesoflove.com or at a retail store near you. You can also get the chance to see me live on my first ever world tour. This is a 90 minute interactive show where I will take you on a journey of finding, keeping and even letting go of love. Head to jayshettytour.com and find out if I'll be in a city near you. Thank you so much for all your support - I hope to see you soon.
What We Discuss:
- 00:00 Intro
- 04:25 What is the real meaning of discipline in different cultures?
- 06:40 How do you overpower your own mind and learn to argue with yourself?
- 11:05 Discipline has to be balanced with sustainability, rest, and so much more.
- 16:22 If you look at your life calendar, whom are you spending most of your time with?
- 22:05 All the things we want in life are accidental byproducts of getting big things right.
- 23:38 What is the hardest discipline you’ve ever practiced?
- 29:21 Optimizing your personal life will make other things much easier to manage.
- 36:25 It’s never too easy to sit down with your thoughts but you can learn to get comfortable with it.
- 40:22 Are you getting better at becoming a better friend to yourself?
- 44:14 We can’t control what happens, but we can control how we respond to it.
- 48:25 How important is it for us to go through something difficult and grow the muscle to overcome it?
- 53:52 Ryan explains the importance of making choices that derive positive benefits in the most difficult situations.
- 01:00:40 You are bound to get disappointed by attaching to an outcome that is not yours.
- 01:02:41 Different people have different ways of consuming information and we should respect that.
- 01:09:44 When you create a lot of valuable things in life, the returns may double.
- 01:12:05 Why should you allow yourself to become different things?
- 01:17:16 Don’t be a copy of your former self, continue to take a leap whenever you can.
- Ryan Holiday | Website
- Ryan Holiday | Twitter
- Ryan Holiday | Instagram
- Ryan Holiday | Facebook
- Ryan Holiday | TikTok
- Ryan Holiday | Books
- The Daily Stoic Podcast
Want to be a Jay Shetty Certified Life Coach? Get the Digital Guide and Workbook from Jay Shetty https://jayshettypurpose.com/fb-getting-started-as-a-life-coach-podcast/
See omnystudio.com/listener for privacy information.