TMHS 592: Radically Improve Your Cognitive Speed, Agility, & Overall Performance - With Louisa Nicola
Have you ever heard the statement that we only use 10% of our brains? This concept is popular in popular culture and motivational speeches, but there’s no scientific data to back it up. The human brain is dynamic and highly complex. The truth is, we use 100% of our brains all the time, even when we’re sleeping.
Although we can’t tap into dormant parts of our brains to unlock our potential, we can optimize our brains and our biology to operate at peak performance. Today’s guest is going to show you how. Louisa Nicola is a neurophysiologist and the founder of Neuro Athletics, a company that helps athletes and top investors achieve peak performance by taking a neurological approach to training. On this episode of The Model Health Show, she’s sharing the fascinating science behind building an athletic brain.
In this interview, we’re diving into topics like neurophysiology, gray matter, dopamine, and long-term brain health. Louisa is bringing the data, her unmatched experience in the field of neurophysiology, and actionable steps you can use to achieve peak performance in any area of your life. So listen in, take good notes, and enjoy the show!
In this episode you’ll discover:
- What the field of neurophysiology entails.
- How an EEG is used to measure brain activity.
- What separates someone like Kobe Bryant from the average athlete.
- Why Louisa decided to do brain scans on NFL players.
- What Neuro Athletics is, and the two major industries they serve.
- The series of events that occur in the brain when you hit a ball.
- How juggling can grow the gray matter of the brain.
- Why adding variations to physical activity can train your brain.
- How the nervous system works.
- Three major theories about brain aging.
- What percentage of our brains that we actually use.
- The importance of sleeping for neuroplasticity.
- How to set goals that optimize your dopamine response.
- Why curating your social media feed is important for your brain.
- How physical activity can starve off Alzheimer’s disease.
- What percentage of patients with Alzheimer’s disease have a genetic form.
- The importance of cycling through sleep stages for brain health.
- How Ceylon cinnamon can impact insulin levels.
- The three domains for achieving peak performance.
Items mentioned in this episode include:
- PiqueLife.com/model -- Use code MODEL at checkout for 10% off!
- DrinkLMNT.com/model -- Get a FREE sample pack with any order!
- Sleep Smarter
- Eat Smarter
- Connect with Louisa Nicola Website / Newsletter / Instagram / Twitter
Join TMHS Facebook community - Model Nation
Be sure you are subscribed to this podcast to automatically receive your episodes: