TMHS 597: The Truth About Processed Foods & The Microbiome-Soil Connection - With Autumn Smith
What does soil have to do with human health? Everything on our planet is interconnected, from tiny organisms that live in the soil to humans. Unfortunately, we’re actively and rapidly destroying the communities of microbes in our soil through unsustainable farming practices. This impacts literally everything, including our gut microbiomes, disease propensity, food security, climate change, and so much more.
Today’s guest, Autumn Smith, is a passionate advocate for human health through regenerative agriculture. She is a functional diagnostic nutritionist and the co-founder of two forward-thinking health companies: Paleo Valley and Wild Pastures. In this interview, Autumn is sharing her personal health anecdote, plus the science behind important health topics like processed foods, the consequences of modern agriculture practices, and the importance of well-thought-out, quality supplements.
We’re diving into the prevalence of digestive issues in the US, the surprising link between eating animal fats and developing chronic illnesses, and the scary reality of antibiotic resistance. Autumn is bringing a ton of valuable knowledge to this episode of The Model Health Show, so listen in, take good notes, and enjoy the show!
In this episode you’ll discover:
- What a diagnosis of IBS actually means, and its prevalence today.
- Autumn’s personal story of transforming her health through dietary changes.
- How many Americans suffer from digestive issues.
- The problem with ultra-processed foods, and how they hijack your satiety.
- How modern food engineering impacts our dopamine.
- A realistic strategy for eating less processed foods.
- What it means to prioritize pleasure in your diet and your life.
- The shocking relationship between saturated fats and non-communicable diseases.
- How the human diet has evolved in recent decades.
- The origin story of vegetable oils.
- What percentage of animal products come from confined feeding operations.
- The unintended consequences of industrial animal agriculture.
- How conventional animal agriculture encourages antibiotic resistance.
- The importance of restoring the health of our depleted soil.
- How climate change is linked with our topsoil.
- What regenerative agriculture is.
- An important distinction between sustainability and regeneration.
- Why regenerative agriculture is like functional medicine.
- The difference between whole food vitamin C and ascorbic acid.
- What you should know about curcumin supplements.
- Autumn’s daily routine, and how she models self-care for her son.
Items mentioned in this episode include:
- WildPastures.com/model -- Get 20% off every box plus an additional $15 off!
- PaleoValley.com/model -- Use code MODEL at checkout for 15% off!
- Study: Frontiers in Nutrition - United States Dietary Trends Since 1800
- Get Better Skin & Smarter Metabolism with Dr. Cate Shanahan – Episode 565
- Energizing Our Food System with Robb Wolf – Episode 563
- Sacred Cow by Diana Rodgers RD & Robb Wolf
- Subscribe to my YouTube channel for exclusive content!
- Connect with Autumn Smith Facebook
Join TMHS Facebook community - Model Nation
Be sure you are subscribed to this podcast to automatically receive your episodes: