TMHS 606: The Truth About Protein, Muscle, & Longevity - With Dr. Gabrielle Lyon
In the past century or so, the human life expectancy has increased dramatically thanks to improved environmental factors and advances in modern medicine. But paradoxically, our citizens are sicker than ever. Rates of obesity, type 2 diabetes, and cardiovascular diseases are skyrocketing at an alarming rate.
Today’s guest, Dr. Gabrielle Lyon is one of the leading experts in human nutrition and the founder of the Institute for Muscle-Centric Medicine. She’s back on The Model Health Show to share about the critical role your muscles play in everything from immune function and cancer susceptibility to longevity and healthspan. Dr. Lyon is passionate about optimizing muscle for vitality and long-term health through evidence-based medicine.
This episode contains powerful insights on how your skeletal muscle performs as your body armor and the influence it has on your metabolism, immune function, and other necessary processes in the body. We’re digging into the science behind optimal dietary protein intake, resistance training for longevity, and so much more. I hope you enjoy this episode with the one and only, Dr. Gabrielle Lyon!
In this episode you’ll discover:
- What a geriatrician is.
- The problem with the term longevity.
- Why skeletal muscle is integral for survivability.
- How your skeletal muscle acts as body armor.
- The connection between skeletal muscle and insulin resistance.
- How body composition and cancer risk are linked.
- Why building skeletal muscle is beneficial for the immune system.
- The most under-appreciated organ responsible for metabolic control.
- Why lack of skeletal muscle is the root of disease.
- What interleukin 6 is.
- The truth about fasted training.
- Why training is so important in mid-life.
- The role dietary protein plays in longevity and survivability.
- What to consider when looking at nutrient recommendations.
- The importance of transparency in science.
- Dr. Lyon’s recommendations for resistance training frequency and intensity.
- What types of folks should utilize post-workout protein.
Items mentioned in this episode include:
- Onnit.com/model -- Save an exclusive 10% on performance supplements & tools!
- Organifi.com/Model -- Use the coupon code MODEL for 20% off!
- Connect with Dr. Gabrielle Lyon Website / Podcast / Instagram / YouTube
Join TMHS Facebook community - Model Nation
Be sure you are subscribed to this podcast to automatically receive your episodes:
you mention a study linking statins to diabetes. where do I find it. Tks