TMHS 675: Secret Mobility Exercises To Upgrade Your Body & Performance - With Juliet & Kelly Starrett
Longevity is a popular topic in the health and wellness space. But what’s often overlooked is the quality of that lifespan. Living longer can be incredible, but only when the body and mind are healthy, strong, and resilient. That’s why I love the book Built to Move by Kelly and Juliet Starrett.
Built to Move is a guide to implementing movement practices that will improve your quality of life, mobility, and overall function. No matter your fitness level or income, Built to Move provides a simple and accessible guide to moving your body better. In this interview, you’re going to hear some of the main mobilization practices from the book and how you can easily add them into your life.
You’ll hear about the incredible benefits of sitting on the floor, walking, hip extensions, and so much more. We can all benefit from more mobility and functionality in our daily lives, and I hope this interview inspires you to live a full life doing the things you enjoy with the people you love. Please enjoy this interview with the amazing Kelly and Juliet Starrett!
In this episode you’ll discover:
- The surprising health benefits of sitting on the floor.
- An important distinction between longevity and durability.
- How our modern environment limits our movement patterns.
- What marathon sitting is.
- The interesting field of sedentary biology.
- How to encourage your body to crave certain movements.
- What it means to create a movement rich environment.
- The importance of having awareness and agency over your movements.
- What it means to be durable.
- The definition of positional inhibition.
- How to improve the posture of your neck, shoulders, and back.
- The number of steps you should take daily to increase your longevity.
- A necessary behavior for creating sleep pressure.
- The most simple and accessible way to add movement into your day.
- How walking can aid in neuroplasticity.
Items mentioned in this episode include:
- Onnit.com/model -- Save an exclusive 10% on performance supplements & tools!
- PiqueLife.com/model -- Get 15% off any subscription + free shipping!
- Built to Move by Kelly & Juliet Starrett
- Deskbound by Kelly Starrett, Juliet Starrett, & Glen Cordoza
- Becoming a Supple Leopard by Kelly Starrett
- Ready to Run by Kelly Starrett
- Muscles and Meridians by Phillip Beach
- Spark by Dr. John J. Ratey
- Connect with Juliet Starrett Podcast / Instagram
- Connect with Kelly Starrett Website / Podcast / Facebook / Instagram
Join TMHS Facebook community - Model Nation
Be sure you are subscribed to this podcast to automatically receive your episodes: