Trevor Noah ON: How to Turn Bad Experiences into Healing Experiences & Finding Calm in Chaos
Today, I am talking to Trevor Noah. Trevor is the most successful comedian in Africa and is the host of the Emmy and Peabody Award-winning “The Daily Show” on Comedy Central. Under Trevor, “The Daily Show with Trevor Noah” has broken free from the restraints of a 30-minute linear show, producing engaging social content, award-winning digital series, podcasts and more for its global audience. He has written, produced, and starred in 11 comedy specials, including his most recent, “Trevor Noah: Son of Patricia,” which launched in November 2018 on Netflix. He is the author of the #1 New York Times bestseller “Born a Crime: Stories from a South African Childhood” and its young readers adaptation “It’s Trevor Noah: Born a Crime: Stories from a South African Childhood,” which also debuted as a New York Times bestseller.
Trevor opens the conversation by sharing what it was like growing up, how he sees the rest of the world, and why it felt like it was okay growing up the way he did. We then exchange thoughts and perspectives on topics such as finding the true meaning of having a ‘home’, the type of friends we often surround ourselves with and why, finding independence in a completely new and foreign place, and being mindful of yourself and in one with your inner thoughts.
What We Discuss:
- 00:00:00 Intro
- 00:02:18 Same story, same book but different meaning
- 00:05:33 Comparing your hardships to others experiences
- 00:09:27 “It was not bad because it happened to everyone.”
- 00:13:27 Are you forced to be grateful for everything?
- 00:19:13 The true definition of the word home
- 00:21:39 What is your purpose?
- 00:25:19 Who are your friends?
- 00:35:43 Becoming unrelatable to people
- 00:44:43 How does a monk fire someone?
- 00:46:48 What is your idea of safety?
- 00:52:30 When’s the best time to walk away?
- 00:56:37 Having conversations with yourself
- 01:03:37 When you leave home
- 01:09:25 The burden our parents unconsciously give us
- 01:17:54 The Many Sides to Us
- 01:24:03 Trevor on Final Five
- Trevor Noah | Shows
- Trevor Noah | Instagram
- Trevor Noah | YouTube
- Trevor Noah | Twitter
- The Daily Show with Trevor Noah
Want to be a Jay Shetty Certified Life Coach? Get the Digital Guide and Workbook from Jay Shetty
See omnystudio.com/listener for privacy information.