Why Everyone Should Care About Cholesterol
This week, Dr. Danielle is hopping on the mic solo to dive into one of your most requested topics (drum roll, please) — cholesterol. As a cardiologist, lipids and cholesterol are practically her second language, and she has heard every question under the sun from her patients. In part one of this multi-part series, she covers the foundations of cholesterol, common terminology, and myths and misconceptions. Welcome to Cholesterol 101!
On today’s episode, Danielle addresses the following questions surrounding cholesterol:
- What is it and is it true your body needs it?
- How does LDL cholesterol cause heart disease?
- What does a lipid panel tell you?
- What is the difference between total cholesterol, LDL cholesterol, HDL cholesterol, triglycerides, and apo B, and how does each one relate to cardiovascular risk?
- What are some of the values we are looking to target to get an optimal lipid panel?
- Is it true that high HDL cholesterol is beneficial?
- What is the difference between small vs large LDL particles and how do they impact the risk of developing atherosclerosis?
- How useful are Triglyceride/HDL ratios in determining cardiovascular risk?
Thank you so much for taking the time to contribute to a generation that values fact over fiction! Be sure to rate, review, and follow on your favorite podcast app and let us know which not-so-wellness trend you’d like to hear debunked. Follow your host on Instagram @daniellebelardomd and the podcast @wellnessfactvsfiction
Thank you to our sponsors for making this episode possible. Check out these deals just for you:
COZY EARTH - Go to cozyearth.com and enter WELLNESS at checkout to SAVE thirty-five
Learn more about your ad choices. Visit megaphone.fm/adchoices