281: Debug ransomware and win $1,000,000, period-tracking apps, and AI gets emotional
A new version of the LockBit ransomware offers a bug bounty, women uninstall period-tracking apps in fear of how their data might be used against them, and Microsoft's facial recognition tech no longer wants to know how you're feeling.
All this and much much more is discussed in the latest edition of the "Smashing Security" podcast by computer security veterans Graham Cluley and Carole Theriault, joined this week by Thom Langford from The Host Unknown podcast.
Plus don't miss our featured interview with Bitwarden founder and CTO Kyle Spearrin.
Warning: This podcast may contain nuts, adult themes, and rude language.
Theme tune: "Vinyl Memories" by Mikael Manvelyan.
Assorted sound effects: AudioBlocks.
- LockBit 3.0 introduces the first ransomware bug bounty program — Bleeping Computer.
- Fake copyright infringement emails install LockBit ransomware — Bleeping Computer.
- Why US women are deleting their period tracking apps — The Guardian.
- Privacy not included — Mozilla Foundation.
- The #1 Period Tracker on the App Store Will Hand Over Data Without a Warrant — Vice.
- Microsoft is removing emotion recognition features from its facial recognition tech — NBC News.
- Top 10 Emotional AI Examples in 2022 & Reasons for Success — AI Multiple.
- Analysis of Speech Features for Emotion Detection: A Review — IEEE Xplore.
- Microsoft's framework for building AI systems responsibly — Microsoft.
- The Swedish chemist shop sketch — As performed by Mel Smith and Rowan Atkinson on Not the Nine O'Clock News.
- Alley Cat — Wikipedia.
- Play Alley Cat — Internet Archive.
- Alley Cat Remeow Edition — Game Jolt.
- SOLAR podcast.
- Smashing Security merchandise (t-shirts, mugs, stickers and stuff)
- Kolide - the SaaS app that sends employees important, timely, and relevant security recommendations concerning their Mac, Windows, and Linux devices, right inside Slack.
- Bitwarden - Password security you can trust. Bitwarden is an open source password manager trusted by millions of individuals, teams, and organizations worldwide for secure password storage and sharing.
- Snyk - Find, prioritize, and fix security vulnerabilities in your code.
Support the show:
Become a Patreon supporter for ad-free episodes and our early-release feed!