295: Slushygate, sextortion, and nano-targeting
What is slushygate and how does it link to sextortion in the States? What is the most impersonated brand when it comes to delivering phishing emails? And what the flip is nano-targeting?
All this and much much more is discussed in the latest edition of the "Smashing Security" podcast by computer security veterans Graham Cluley and Carole Theriault, joined this week by fan favourite Maria Varmazis.
Warning: This podcast may contain nuts, adult themes, and rude language.
No contortionists were hurt during the making of this episode.
- Memorandum of sentencing of Bryan Wilson - United States District Court Western District Court of Kentucky at Louisville.
- Accurint for Law Enforcement - LexisNexis.
- LexisNexis illegally collected and sold people's personal data, lawsuit alleges - CBS News.
- Ex-cop abused police tool in Snapshot sextortion plot that stole sexually explicit photos and videos - Bitdefender.
- Congress should consider enhancing protections around scores used to rank consumers (PDF) - Government Accountability Office.
- Online Shoppers Beware: Scammers Most Likely to Impersonate DHL - Check Point.
- Why Am I Seeing That Political Ad? Check Your ‘Trump Resistance’ Score - New York Times.
- I Got Access to My Secret Consumer Score. Now You Can Get Yours, Too - New York Times.
- Mixed Idioms.
- Apollo Remastered.
- Cosmic Background.
- Death of an Artist - Pushkin podcasts.
- Smashing Security merchandise (t-shirts, mugs, stickers and stuff)
- Kolide – the SaaS app that sends employees important, timely, and relevant security recommendations concerning their Mac, Windows, and Linux devices, right inside Slack.
- Bitwarden – Password security you can trust. Bitwarden is an open source password manager trusted by millions of individuals, teams, and organizations worldwide for secure password storage and sharing.
- Sealit - Zero Trust Data Protection: protect, share, and monitor confidential emails and files - without passwords. Integrated with Gmail, Outlook, and file systems. Learn more and take advantage of Sealit's special offer to "Smashing Security" listeners.
Support the show:
Become a Patreon supporter for ad-free episodes and our early-release feed!
Theme tune: "Vinyl Memories" by Mikael Manvelyan.
Assorted sound effects: AudioBlocks.