290: Uber, Rockstar, and crystal balls
Researchers reveal how your eyeglasses could be leaking secrets when you're on video conferencing calls, we take a look at the recent data breaches involving Uber and Grand Theft Auto 6, and we cast an eye at what threats may be around the corner...
All this and much much more is discussed in the latest edition of the "Smashing Security" podcast by computer security veterans Graham Cluley and Carole Theriault, joined this week by The Register's Iain Thomson.
Plus - don't miss our featured interview with Sal Aurigemma, the faculty director of the Master of Science in Cyber Security program at the University of Tulsa.
Warning: This podcast may contain nuts, adult themes, and rude language.
- “Iain Exotic”, Iain Thomson’s dress-up homage to Joe Exotic, the Tiger King - Twitter.
- “Private Eye: On the Limits of Textual Screen Peeking via Eyeglass Reflections in Video Conferencing” - Research paper by Yan Long, Chen Yan, Shilin Xiao, Shivan Prasad, Wenyuan Xu, and Kevin Fu.
- “We saved you a seat in chat” - Rather large text on the Twitch website.
- Stalker zoomed in on Japanese idol’s eyes to find out where she lived - Graham Cluley.
- Uber is looking for more security staff - Twitter.
- Uber explains how it was pwned this month, points finger at Lapsus$ gang - The Register.
- Uber’s hacker *irritated* his way into its network, stole internal documents - Graham Cluley.
- Security update - Uber.
- Grand Theft Auto 6 maker confirms source code, vids stolen in cyber-heist - The Register.
- Cybersecurity Awareness Month - CISA.
- The scary future of the internet: How the tech of tomorrow will pose even bigger cybersecurity threats - ZDNet.
- U.S. Government Spending Billions on Cybersecurity - Hacker News.
- The Mitchells vs The Machines trailer - YouTube.
- The Mitchells vs The Machines - Netflix.
- NASA is ready to knock an asteroid off course with its DART spacecraft - New Scientist.
- DART’s Small Satellite Companion Takes Flight Ahead of Impact - NASA.
- Search and find UK Defibrillator Locations near you now - HeartSafe.
- Apply for a part funded Public Access Defibrillator - British Heart Foundation.
- Defibrillator guide for first time buyers - St John’s Ambulance.
- Every school will have a life-saving defibrillator by 22/23 - Gov.UK.
- Smashing Security merchandise (t-shirts, mugs, stickers and stuff)
- Pentera - Pentera’s Automated Security Validation Platform is designed to help teams increase their security posture against modern day threats across the entire attack surface. Evaluate your security readiness with continuous and consistent autonomous testing with granular visibility into every execution along the way.
- Kolide – the SaaS app that sends employees important, timely, and relevant security recommendations concerning their Mac, Windows, and Linux devices, right inside Slack.
- Bitwarden – Password security you can trust. Bitwarden is an open source password manager trusted by millions of individuals, teams, and organizations worldwide for secure password storage and sharing.
Support the show:
You can help the podcast by telling your friends and colleagues about “Smashing Security”, and leaving us a review on Apple Podcasts or Podchaser.
Become a Patreon supporter for ad-free episodes and our early-release feed!
Follow the show on Twitter at @SmashinSecurity, or on the Smashing Security subreddit, or visit our website for more episodes.
Theme tune: "Vinyl Memories" by Mikael Manvelyan.
Assorted sound effects: AudioBlocks.