289: Printer peeves, health data hangups, and Twitter tussles - with Rory Cellan-Jones
How could your inkjet printer finally help you make some money, why is it so hard to share our health data even if we want to, and what result do you want to see from the Elon Musk vs Twitter bunfight?
All this and much much more is discussed in the latest edition of the "Smashing Security" podcast by computer security veterans Graham Cluley and Carole Theriault, joined this week by Rory Cellan-Jones.
Warning: This podcast may contain nuts, adult themes, and rude language.
- Dynamic Cartridge Security - disable please - Angry customers complain on HP support forum.
- Update now! Many HP printers affected by three critical security vulnerabilities - MalwareBytes.
- HP will pay customers for blocking non-HP ink cartridges in EU - Bleeping Computer.
- HP and Euroconsumers settle on Dynamic Security - Euroconsumers.
- Ink cartridges are a scam - YouTube.
- Why printer ink is so expensive - Insider.
- Trying to print something - YouTube.
- UK Biobank - why won't GPs share data? - Rory’s Always On Newsletter.
- Another data sharing fiasco - Rory's Always On Newsletter.
- Tweet by Kate Bingham - Twitter.
- The Twitter Whistleblower Needs You to Trust Him - Time.
- Twitter denies whistleblower payout violates Musk’s takeover deal - MSN.
- Elon Musk earns a split decision in Delaware court - The New York Times.
- Twitter’s whistleblower has pitched up at a very inconvenient moment - The Guardian.
- Damning claims about Twitter’s bots and security lapses are ‘a false narrative,’ says CEO - The Verge.
- The Spectator’s Guide to the Elon Musk–Twitter Fight - Slate.
- Don't F*** with Paste - Firefox browser addon
- Don't F*** with Paste - Chrome browser extension.
- Stasi Museum, Berlin.
- How to with John Wilson - BBC.
- Smashing Security merchandise (t-shirts, mugs, stickers and stuff)
- Kolide – the SaaS app that sends employees important, timely, and relevant security recommendations concerning their Mac, Windows, and Linux devices, right inside Slack.
- Bitwarden – Password security you can trust. Bitwarden is an open source password manager trusted by millions of individuals, teams, and organizations worldwide for secure password storage and sharing.
- The Cyber Security Inside podcast - Relevant cybersecurity topics in clear, easy-to-understand language. With every episode, you’ll walk away smarter about cybersecurity, and have fun while you’re at it!
Support the show:
Become a Patreon supporter for ad-free episodes and our early-release feed!
Theme tune: "Vinyl Memories" by Mikael Manvelyan.
Assorted sound effects: AudioBlocks.