285: Uber's hidden hack, tips for travel, and AI accent fixes
Uber may not face prosecution over its handling of a 2016 data breach - but its former chief security head does; how to defend your digital devices' data while on vacation, and how to change your accent with artificial intelligence.
All this and much much more is discussed in the latest edition of the "Smashing Security" podcast by computer security veterans Graham Cluley and Carole Theriault, joined this week by Paul Ducklin.
Plus don't miss our featured interview with Ian Farquhar of Gigamon.
Visit https://www.smashingsecurity.com/285 to check out this episode’s show notes and episode links.
Follow the show on Twitter at @SmashinSecurity, or on the Smashing Security subreddit, or visit our website for more episodes.
Remember: Follow us on Apple Podcasts, or your favourite podcast app, to catch all of the episodes as they go live. Thanks for listening!
Warning: This podcast may contain nuts, adult themes, and rude language.
Theme tune: "Vinyl Memories" by Mikael Manvelyan.
Assorted sound effects: AudioBlocks.
Special Guests: Ian Farquhar and Paul Ducklin.
- Gigamon: Gigamon's latest report into the state of ransomware reveals how insider threats are evolving, what impact cyber insurance and the ‘blame culture’ are having on the cybersecurity industry, and why deep observability is the new frontier for tackling the ransomware crisis.
Download it at gigamon.com/smashing
- SolCyber: If the bad guys aren’t being discriminating about who they’re attacking, how can you settle for anything less than Fortune 500 level security?
SolCyber delivers Fortune 500 level cybersecurity for small and medium-sized enterprises. When you’re being targeted by the same bad guys, nothing else will do. A curated stack of leading technologies and around-the-clock SOC support, all simply priced per user. Let SolCyber do the heavy lifting.
- Bitwarden: A password manager is an important tool for generating and saving secure credentials for every online account. Bitwarden makes it easy to stay secure and for businesses to share logins with team members and departments. Open source with published 3rd party security audits, Bitwarden is transparent and secure, utilizing end-to-end and zero knowledge encryption with source code that can be scrutinized by all.
Learn how Bitwarden can help you do business faster and more securely at bitwarden.com/smashing and start a free business plan trial today.
- Uber Enters Non-Prosecution Agreement Related to 2016 Data Breach — US Department of Justice.
- Former Uber Security Chief Joe Sullivan Must Face Driver Fraud Charges — Bloomberg.
- Uber to pay $148 million in data breach settlement — TechCrunch.
- Uber paid hackers $100,000 to keep data breach quiet — Graham Cluley.
- Uber CISO's trial underscores the importance of truth, transparency, and trust — CSO Online.
- 7 cybersecurity tips for your summer vacation! — Naked Security.
- Sanas demo.
- Sanas Raises $32M for Breakthrough AI Technology for Real-Time Accent Translation — Sanas press release.
- This 6-Million-Dollar AI Changes Accents as You Speak — IEEE Spectrum.
- Call centre workers can use AI to mimic your accent on the phone — New Scientist.
- A little less accent, a little more customer service — ComputerWorld.
- What Is Accent Reduction? — Accent Advisor.
- Compound pejoratives on Reddit – from 'buttface' to 'wankpuffin' — Colin Morris.
- Melissa computer virus — Wikipedia.
- Dedham Hall.
- 3D capture of Carole Theriault — Polycam.
- Smashing Security merchandise (t-shirts, mugs, stickers and stuff)